A living room is the center of any home. It is usually the biggest, brightest and warmest space in a house for the whole family to enjoy after being apart for the bigger part of the day. It is also used as a gathering point for guests and family reunions. For those who have a backyard, a porch is the perfect additional zone for a get-together. It is a place where the outdoors and indoors meet, mixing the sense of warmth you have indoors added to the view from the outside.
While having an open porch is kind of like your own little piece of heaven attached to your house, it may not seem that way when the seasons with rain, wind and snow start. This is exactly the reason why you should have a covered porch. Having a covered back porch has a great number of advantages in comparison to an open one. For example, it opens up the whole main floor due to big windows and glass doors surrounding it, the room is washed with sunlight for a greater part of the day than it would be if it was closed with brick walls.
Here are some of the ideas for creating a perfect comfort zone for you and your family:
- This image represents the perfect balance of indoor and outdoor space. Here we can see that the walls are replaced with large glass windows with a white frame which give the room even more light. A fireplace is a nice touch both esthetically and practically.
- Take a look at your porch. Does it lack color, creativity, and inspiration? Well, you don’t have to be an interior designer in order to bring a little life to your patio. Pick the colors you like and start matching. If you prefer a minimalistic look, you can opt for sliding glass doors and pair them with neutral color curtains and a few required furniture pieces. Keep in mind that you need not necessarily be restricted to choosing sliding door designs; there are several other styles and patterns of patio doors that you can select from. For instance, you can opt for a hinged French patio door installation. The best part is that you can decide on different colors of the frame, pick from a wide variety of grille and knob selections, and match or contract them with your furniture or flooring.
Anyway, on the color scheme you can see which color blends in another – those combinations are best avoided. It may be wiser to use light colors because of the bright surrounding area. Or you can just throw in some fuzzy cushions and blankets.
- If you want to save some space, you can do so by adding sliding doors from Sydney. They allow a nice breeze to flow right into your home whilst protecting it from insects (most of them come with a screen door). This way your kids may play on the porch even after dark, without you worrying whether they are wearing an adequate cream to protect from mosquitoes. It is a nice way to partition your living room and porch, or any other room in your home. What is more, there is no hard work for you involved, you just have to set them up.
- When you imagine a porch in your head, it most likely comes with a traditional swing seat. Just the sight of one can make the whole porch more inviting. Nowadays, it is common to find swing seats that are hung from the ceiling of the porch rather that original swings. When buying the hung one, make sure that your ceiling can support it (here you may need a professional’s help). Besides, there is a large variety of them, so don’t be blue if the hanging one does not go with your porch.
- You can use themes when decorating. Here are some ideas:
- Tropical inspiration: you can design a tropical manner, no matter which part of the world you live in, whether it’s hot or cold. Take inspiration from hotter climates. There is no need to adjust everything, just some details, such as adding a fan or two, and some succulents in pots. You can put some cooling ceramic to cover the floor of your porch. If you are really into it, you can select some furniture made from rattan or cane.
- Beach design: it is such an inviting one that you can pull it off even if you live nowhere near the beach. There is no need for extravagance, simple white and light tones are enough. The contrast with blue and white strips is a perfect look for this design. Instead of blankets and pillows, you can put some towels and a few deck chairs.